baked carrot cake doughnuts
Baked doughnuts are one of my favorite weekend treats, and these baked carrot cake doughnuts are currently at the top of my list! If you love carrot cake, you’ll fall for these light and fluffy doughnuts (and how simple they are to whip up!). With warming spices, sweet carrots, and a luxurious brown butter glaze, each bite is simply divine!
Whisk up the dry ingredients the night ahead, and you’ll be well on your way to baked doughnut bliss come morning. Glaze the doughnuts while still slightly warm and serve right away, because there’s nothing so delicious as a freshly baked doughnut!
- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup finely grated carrots
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp milk
- sprinkles (topping)
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together cake flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost incorporated. Fold in grated carrots.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 3/4 full. Bake about 8 minutes, until the tops spring back when touched. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter, allowing pan to cool completely and spraying with nonstick spray in between batches.
- For the glaze, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown. Pour brown butter into a glass bowl and let cool for 5 minutes before whisking in 1 cup powdered sugar, salt, vanilla, and milk until smooth. For a thicker glaze, add remaining powdered sugar, whisking until smooth.
- Set rack with cooled doughnuts over a piece of waxed paper. Dip doughnuts tops into glaze, top with sprinkles, and let glaze set before serving.
To make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.
Keywords: Carrot, Carrot Cake, Brown Butter