Snickerdoodle cookies, chai tea, and sandwich cookies are among my favorite things. It seemed only natural to combine the three into one incredible holiday treat: snickerdoodle chai sandwich cookies!
We start with buttery shortbread cookies, transformed into snickerdoodle shortbread thanks to the addition of cinnamon and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon sugar before and after baking. Next we add a luscious, creamy chai spice filling that you’ll be tempted to eat by the spoonful! Deck the assembled cookies with a drizzle of white chocolate and gold sprinkles for a festive look, and enjoy these beauties with a mug of chai!
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp loose leaf chai tea
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 oz white chocolate, chopped
- gold sprinkles
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Divide dough into two portions and scrape each portion out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill disks in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out one disk of dough to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have 16 cookies. Repeat with second disk of dough, for a total of 32 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar generously over chilled cookies. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, sprinkling again with any remaining cinnamon sugar. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the chai filling, combine milk and chai in a small saucepan and heat over medium-low heat just until warm. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes; strain through a mesh strainer, pressing firmly on the tea. Let the infused milk cool to room temperature.
- Beat butter, salt, and powdered sugar in a large mixer bowl until combined. Add 2 tablespoons of the infused milk and mix in on low speed until incorporated. Increase speed to medium-high, and beat until filling is light and airy. Transfer filling to a piping bag and chill for 20 minutes to firm slightly.
- To assemble the cookies, pipe about a tablespoon of filling in the center of half the cookies, and top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place white chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Transfer melted white chocolate to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies. Top with sprinkles and chill cookies for 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set the chocolate. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Snickerdoodle, Chai, White Chocolate