Just in time for the holidays, I’ve turned my beloved brownie cookies into a seasonal sandwich cookie! Peppermint chocolate treats are at the top of my list every December, and these peppermint brownie sandwich cookies may be my very favorite spin on the classic flavor pairing.
The impossibly rich and indulgent brownie cookies are filled with peppermint vanilla cream and dusted with crushed peppermint candy canes for a seriously divine cookie. Serve these with a cold glass of milk (or a mug of hot cocoa) for chocolate peppermint bliss!
- 1 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pure peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 peppermint candy canes, finely crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Place chocolate and butter in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Combine eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment and whisk together on medium speed for exactly 5 minutes. Reduce speed to low and beat in melted chocolate for 1 minute. Add flour mixture and mix on low speed for 20 seconds, just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips (dough will resemble a gooey brownie batter).
- Use a cookie scoop coated lightly with nonstick spray to form the cookies – invert the scoop just above the baking sheets, spacing cookies 3 inches apart. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 12 to 14 minutes, until tops are shiny and crackly. Remove from oven and let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, combine butter and cream cheese in a mixer bowl and beat until smooth. Mix in salt, vanilla, and peppermint extract until combined. Beat in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated, then on medium speed until light and airy. Transfer filling to a piping bag.
- To assemble the cookies, pipe about a tablespoon of filling in the center of half the cookies. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint and top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Keywords: Chocolate, Peppermint, Brownie Cookies