- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 3 packages unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Spray a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with nonstick spray. Combine powdered sugar and cornstarch, and dust the pan generously with the mixture to coat the bottom and the sides of the baking dish. Reserve extra powdered sugar mixture to sprinkle over the top of the marshmallows.
- Combine 1/2 cup cold water and gelatin in a large mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment; let stand to dissolve.
- Combine 1/2 cup cold water, sugar, corn syrup, and salt in a saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then increase the heat to medium-high and cook until the mixture reaches 240ºF. Remove mixture from the heat.
- While the mixer is on low speed, carefully and slowly pour the sugar syrup into the dissolved gelatin. Increase mixer speed to medium-high (8 on a KitchenAid mixer) and beat until the mixture is thick and voluminous, about 8 minutes. Add vanilla and almond extracts, and beat for 2 more minutes until well combined.
- Spray a rubber spatula with nonstick spray and transfer mixture to prepared pan. Gently smooth the top, and dust generously with remaining powdered sugar mixture. Leave the pan uncovered and let rest overnight to dry out.
- Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper generously with powdered sugar. Loosen the edges of the set marshmallow mixture with a rubber spatula. Turn out onto parchment and punch out shapes with a snowflake cutter (or cut into squares with a sharp knife). Dust marshmallows again with powered sugar.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Gently skewer the marshmallows and dip into chocolate; place on prepared pan. Chill for 15 to 20 minutes in the refrigerator to set chocolate.
Recipe adapted from Ina Garten
Keywords: Chocolate, Marshmallow