Soft and pillowy red velvet crinkle cookies make the BEST holiday treat! With the perfect crackle, these cookies are ideal for gifting!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red gel food coloring
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla, lemon juice, and gel food coloring until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Add milk and beat until combined. Fold in white chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Spray hands lightly with nonstick spray to easily roll the dough. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar to coat, then coat generously in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 13 to 14 minutes, until puffed and cracked, with edges set. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Make Ahead: Roll the dough into balls and freeze on a baking sheet for 1 hour, then transfer to an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months. Just before baking, roll the cookie dough in granulated sugar, coat in powered sugar, and bake as directed, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
Keywords: Red Velvet, Red Velvet Cookies, Crinkle Cookies, Holiday Cookies