red velvet crinkle cookies
We’re kicking off cookie season with soft and pillowy red velvet crinkle cookies! Rolled in powdered sugar for a snowy appearance, these festive crinkle cookies are perfect for the holiday season. With a delicious hint of cocoa and vanilla, these cookies are delicious alongside a mug of hot chocolate and a must bake for your holiday cookie tray.
How to Bake Perfect Crinkle Cookies
The secret to the perfect crinkle cookie? Rolling the cookie dough in granulated sugar before coating in powdered sugar helps the cookies crackle as they bake, and keeps the powdered sugar coating in place. For even more crinkle cookie love, don’t miss my chocolate peppermint crinkle cookies!
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red gel food coloring
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla, lemon juice, and gel food coloring until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Add milk and beat until combined. Fold in white chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow bowls. Spray hands lightly with nonstick spray to easily roll the dough. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and roll in granulated sugar to coat, then coat generously in powdered sugar. Place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 13 to 14 minutes, until puffed and cracked, with edges set. Let cookies cool for 10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Keywords: Red Velvet