This simple and delicious pumpkin roll is a fall favorite! I’ve updated the classic pumpkin roll cake with my favorite brown butter cream cheese frosting. Perfectly spiced, this beautiful dessert is ideal for holiday entertaining.
The key to a successful pumpkin roll is to remove the cake from the pan as soon as it comes out of the oven, and immediately roll up the cake into a clean towel (dusted with powdered sugar). Let the cake cool completely before unrolling and frosting. Re-roll the cake, wrap in plastic, and chill before slicing and serving.
Filled with swirls of sweet and tangy frosting, the delicate pumpkin cake is especially festive with a dusting of snowy powdered sugar. This dessert is a must make for your Thanksgiving table!
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup pure pumpkin
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, divided (for rolling)
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6 oz reduced fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 375°F and spray a 10 x 15-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick spray; line pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper with nonstick spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together pumpkin, eggs, sugars, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add to flour mixture, and whisk in until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into prepared pan and tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 16 to 18 minutes, until the cake springs back to the touch. While the cake bakes, place a clean thin kitchen towel flat on the kitchen counter, and dust with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Remove cake from the oven and immediately turn out onto prepared kitchen towel. Carefully peel off the parchment paper, and dust the cake with remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Starting from the narrow end, carefully and gently roll up the cake with the towel. Transfer rolled up cake to a wire rack and place seam side down; let cool completely.
- For the frosting, cook 2 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown. Pour brown butter into a mixer bowl and let cool to room temperature. Add butter and cream cheese, and beat until combined. Mix in vanilla and salt. Beat in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated, then on medium speed until soft and creamy.
- Gently unroll the cooled cake, and use an offset spatula to spread frosting over the cake. Carefully re-roll the cake, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
Keywords: Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, Cream Cheese Frosting