- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 to 4 Tbsp ice water
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups pecan halves
Maple Cinnamon Whipped Cream
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 2 tablespoons ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Wrap dough in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Place disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out dough (roll dough in one direction, then lift up dough and rotate a quarter turn and roll, then repeat) until dough is 1/4-inch thick, approximately a 12-inch circle. If dough starts to stick, use a bench scraper to lift dough from board. Transfer dough to prepared tart pan, lightly pressing down into the bottom and sides of the pan. Run the rolling pin over the top of the tart pan to remove the excess dough, and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes. If desired, punch out decorative leaf shapes from the leftover dough; chill cut outs in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- For the filling, combine brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, heavy cream, and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil and stir in chopped pecans. Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes before assembling tart.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and place a rimmed baking sheet in the middle of the oven. Spoon filling into chilled tart shell and top with pecan halves in a decorative pattern. Place tart on pre-heated baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until filling is bubbly and pastry is golden. Cool tart on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving.
- Brush pastry leaf cut outs with heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool before adding to the top of the tart.
- For the maple cinnamon whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Add sugar and whip on medium speed until cream begins to thicken. Add maple extract and cinnamon; whip the cream on medium-high speed until soft peaks form. Serve immediately.
Leaf cut-outs: I used these fall pie crust cutters.
Keywords: Maple, Maple syrup, Pecan