chocolate chip nutella cookie bars
If you love cookies, Nutella, and chocolate as much as I do, you don’t want to miss these chocolate chip Nutella cookie bars. Think chewy oatmeal cookie bars, studded with chocolate chips and ribbons of Nutella for one perfect treat.
Topped with a sprinkling of chocolate chips and flaky salt, these cookie bars make a delicious canvas for your favorite flavors – swap the Nutella with peanut butter, top the bars with mini peanut butter cups or chocolate chunks. No matter what flavors you choose, these cookie bars are sure to become an instant new favorite.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, oats, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scrape half of the dough into prepared pan. Use a piece of parchment paper coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly across the bottom of the pan. Dollop teaspoons of Nutella over the cookie dough. Dollop with remaining cookie dough and top with chocolate chips, pressing gently into the dough (don’t worry if the dough doesn’t full cover the Nutella – the dough will puff and spread in the oven).
- Bake for 20 to 24 minutes, until golden and just set in the center. Remove from oven and sprinkle with flaky salt. Let bars cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares with a sharp knife.
Recipe inspired by Half Baked Harvest