- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (48 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup (90 g) light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp (24 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup (114 grams) toasted chopped pecans
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup (200 g) sugar
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cubed
- 1/2 cup (120 g) heavy cream, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- flaky salt, for topping
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix on low until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 4-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn’t stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or two 9-inch round pans) with nonstick spray.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Spread dough with softened butter, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Combine sugars, cinnamon, and salt; sprinkle over dough and top with chopped pecans, pressing gently into dough with rolling pin. Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal.
- Trim off uneven ends and score dough into 12 equal slices. Use unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly). Place rolls cut side up into prepared baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 350°F and make salted caramel sauce. Cook sugar in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly with a heat-resistant spatula. Continue cooking until sugar forms clumps and melts into a light amber colored liquid, about 4-5 minutes. Once the sugar is melted, carefully add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly until incorporated. Slowly drizzle in heavy cream while whisking constantly. Let mixture boil for 1 minute, then remove from heat and pour into a glass bowl. Stir in vanilla and salt; let cool to room temperature.
- Once the rolls have doubled in size, bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Drizzle salted caramel sauce over rolls before serving. If desired, sprinkle with flaky salt.
Keywords: Caramel, Salted Caramel, Pecan, Cinnamon