apple crumble loaf cake
I’ve never met an apple spice cake that I didn’t like, but this seasonally inspired apple crumble loaf cake simply takes apple cakes to another level. Perfectly spiced and dotted with apples, this tender loaf cake is one to enjoy for breakfast, dessert, or anytime in between.
Decked with buttery golden crumble and drizzled with maple butter glaze, each bite is the perfect taste of fall. Here’s to baking with apples, and devouring every last crumb!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups peeled and diced apples
- 6 Tbsp dark amber maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- flaky salt, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang around the edges. For the crumble topping, combine sugars, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and almond extract, and toss mixture until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- Whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture. Gently fold in apples.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula and tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Sprinkle with crumble topping. Bake for 60 to 65 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached (Start testing after 50 minutes of baking time – baking time will vary based on the moisture of the apples. If desired, tent with foil to prevent over-browning).
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before using the parchment overhang to gently lift cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, combine maple syrup, butter, and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring until butter is melted and mixture is combined. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in powdered sugar and maple extract. Let cool for several minutes to thicken slightly, then drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with flaky salt and let set before serving.
Keywords: Apple, Maple