- 12 oz loaf challah bread (or brioche)
- 1/2 cup blackberry jam
- 3 oz mascarpone, at room temperature
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries, divided
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- powdered sugar, for serving
- Butter a 9-inch round or square baking dish. Slice challah into 1-inch thick slices, then cut each slice almost in half, leaving a 1/4-inch border connected at the bottom. Spread blackberry jam on one side of the inside of the bread, and mascarpone on the other side. Press slices gently to sandwich together.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Whisk in milk, heavy cream, melted butter, sugar, vanilla, and salt until combined. Working in batches, dip challah into egg mixture, turning to coat. Overlap challah slices in prepared baking dish and pour remaining batter over the top. Spray a piece of foil with nonstick spray and cover baking dish. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake, covered with foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and top with 1 cup blackberries and sugar. Continue baking for another 25 to 30 minutes, until golden and baked through, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean (if top is browning too quickly, tent with foil).
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly on a wire rack before serving with powdered sugar and remaining fresh berries.
Keywords: Blackberry, Mascarpone, French Toast