There’s nothing better than summery apricot crumb bars, with a dream ratio of brown butter crust and crumbs to apricot filling. Tossing the apricots briefly with sugar and a splash of bourbon enhances the sweet fruit, a perfect complement to the rich and nutty brown butter crumbs.
These bars would be delicious with any seasonal stone fruit (try peaches, nectarines, or plums); simply adjust the sugar levels based on the sweetness of the fruit. Enjoy the bars unadorned to savor the golden crumbs, or dust with powdered sugar (or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!).
Crust & Crumbs
- 14 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 Tbsp ice water
- 2 Tbsp bourbon
- 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups sliced apricots
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a medium brown, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk together brown butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until combined. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 3/4 cup of dough for topping; mix in a bowl with sliced almonds and ice water until combined and keep chilled until ready to use.
- Press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, combine bourbon, 3 tablespoons sugar, and sliced apricots in a bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes, tossing occasionally. Spoon apricots over cooled crust, leaving most of the juices behind. Sprinkle fruit with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for another 36 to 38 minutes, until topping is golden and filling slightly bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
Keywords: Apricot, Brown Butter, Crumb Bars