Nothing says summer like a classic ice cream sandwich, and these brown butter chocolate caramel ice cream sandwiches are the iconic frozen treat, only better. We begin with soft and chewy brown butter cookies, studded with pockets of chocolate covered caramels. Topped with chocolate chips and flaky salt, these are the ultimate summer cookie.
Paired with creamy caramel butter pecan ice cream, there’s nothing better than cookies sandwiched with ice cream. Stash the freezer and you’ll be all set for the warmer days ahead!
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large chocolate covered caramels, chopped (approximately 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- flaky salt
- 3 cups caramel butter pecan ice cream (or vanilla bean ice cream)
- Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour browned butter into a glass measuring cup and chill in the freezer until solidified, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat solidified brown butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chopped chocolate covered caramels. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (If cookie dough has chilled overnight, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking). Line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Top cookies with chocolate chips, pressing gently to adhere. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 to 11 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 5-10 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack. Sprinkle cookies with flaky salt and let cool completely.
- Freeze cookies for 30 minutes. To assemble sandwiches, use a cookie scoop to place a scoop of ice cream between two chilled cookies and press lightly. Place assembled ice cream sandwiches on a baking sheet and cover with plastic; return to the freezer for another 30 minutes before serving.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Chocolate, Ice Cream