There’s only one lemon sheet cake recipe you need, and it’s this light and lemony cake. Perfumed with sweet Meyer lemon zest and juice, and topped with swirls of lemon frosting, this cake is perfect for Friday, a spring weekend, and any day that requires cake!
My kind of lemon cake perfection is golden, fluffy, and sweet. If frosting is your one true love, feel free to double the recipe for extra lemony swirls – just don’t skip the sprinkles! Happy Friday!
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 6 Tbsp plain fat-free yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 13 x 9” baking pan with nonstick spray and line with parchment. Spray again. Whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in lemon zest and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined. Combine buttermilk, yogurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 28 to 30 minutes, until the top and edges are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool cake completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For the frosting, beat butter, salt, and lemon zest in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. Add lemon juice, milk, and vanilla; beat on medium-high speed until light and airy.
- Dollop frosting over cooled cake and swirl with an offset spatula. Top with sprinkles, then chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator before slicing and serving.
To make your own cake flour: place 2 tablespoons cornstarch in an empty 1-cup measure, then top up with flour. Sift the mixture several times to evenly distribute the cornstarch.