The combination of buttery, flaky pastry with a sweet berry filling simply can’t be beat. Filled with sweet jam and fresh berries (I made raspberry and blueberry turnovers; use any jam and berry combo you love), these golden turnovers are simply irresistible warm from the oven.
Stick with the simple, classic filling, or add a touch of elegance with lemon zest or dried lavender (pulse briefly with the sugar and sprinkle over the berries). If you like, dress these turnovers up with lemon butter glaze or serve with dollops of honey whipped cream… you simply can’t miss with the golden, flaky triangles.
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup jam
- 1 1/4 cups berries
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- For the crust, combine flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Add cubed butter and process for 10 seconds, just until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the food processor running, add 1/4 cup ice water in a steady stream through feed tube. If needed, add additional ice water 1 tablespoon at a time, and process just until dough holds together in large clumps (no more than 30 seconds). Divide dough into two equal portions. Wrap each portion in plastic and flatten slightly to form a disc. Chill in the refrigerator at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days, or place in a freezer bag and freeze up to 1 month).
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a floured board and dust dough with flour. Roll out until dough is about 1/8″ thick (If dough starts to stick, use a floured bench scraper to gently lift dough from board). Cut out 4 1/2-inch squares of dough (re-roll scraps once). Place squares on baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. Repeat with second disc of dough and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Working with 1 or 2 squares at a time, place a scant tablespoon of jam in the center of the square. Top with 2-3 berries and sprinkle with sugar (if berries are large, slice in half lengthwise). Brush edges of pastry lightly with water and fold over at a diagonal to form a triangle. Seal the edges of each turnover by crimping with a fork and vent tops with a sharp knife. Chill assembled turnovers in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Just before baking, brush turnovers with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 26 to 30 minutes, until golden brown. Cool turnovers on baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled turnovers on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with cream, sprinkle with sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.