Happy 2018! I love a fresh start at the beginning of the year, and there’s no better way to brighten up breakfast than with baklava granola. Inspired by my baklava cookie bars, this granola is scrumptious: filled with golden clusters, flavored with orange zest and warming spices, studded with roasted pistachios and almonds.
Topped with a drizzle of honey, dried apricots, roasted pistachios, and toasted coconut flakes, the year is already feeling bright. Cheers to all that’s to come!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup roasted and salted pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted almonds, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cloves
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp fresh orange zest
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- chopped dried apricots
- chopped roasted pistachios
- toasted coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 300°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine oats, pistachios, almonds, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Add coconut oil, honey, vanilla, and orange zest; toss to coat. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until frothy (about 1 minute); add to oat mixture and toss to coat.
- Use an offset spatula to spread mixture into an even layer on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then use a large spatula to flip sections of granola. Press back into an even layer, rotate pan, and bake another 20-25 minutes. When granola is golden and feels dry to the touch, turn off oven and leave pan in oven for another 10 minutes to continue drying.
- Remove pan from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely (the granola crisps as it cools). When completely cool, break into clusters. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 to 2 weeks. When serving, top with dried apricots, chopped pistachios, and toasted coconut chips.