pear cranberry upside down cake
Pear cranberry upside down cake is perfect for fall entertaining!
An effortless upside down cake may just be the perfect dessert for autumn. Baked in a skillet for a gorgeous golden hue, the brown sugar-Amaretto topping makes a lovely complement to the creamy pears and sweet-tart cranberries.
Serve just warm topped with scoops of vanilla bean ice cream or spiced whipped cream clouds for a deliciously satisfying oven-to-table dessert.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 large pear, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup fresh cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet. Combine butter and brown sugar in skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in Amaretto. Top with pears and cranberries, and set the skillet aside.
- For the cake, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, yogurt, melted butter, and Amaretto in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined. Dollop batter evenly over fruit layer and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and let the cake rest for 5 minutes in the skillet, until any juices have stopped bubbling. Use a thin spatula to loosen cake from skillet and carefully invert onto a cake stand or serving plate. Let cool to slightly warm before serving.
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrates: 42
Keywords: Pear, Cranberry, Upside-Down Cake, Skillet Cake