chai spice shortbread cookies
Chai spice shortbread cookies are fall perfection!
Buttery shortbread cookies are my kind of cookie, which is why I’m excited to share that I’m a contributor in the newly released holiday issue of Bake From Scratch magazine! A few of my shortbread recipes plus more than 65 exclusive recipes from 29 bakers are featured in the special holiday cookie issue, so be sure to order your copy today!
To celebrate, I bring you chai spice shortbread cookies. Infused with chai spices and topped with brown sugar-caramel drizzle and pecans, these cookies are fall perfection.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- chopped pecans
- Beat butter, sugar, and spices in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 24 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. For the topping, combine brown sugar, butter, cream, and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla. Let stand for 10 minutes, then transfer to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and let topping set before serving.
Make ahead: Baked and cooled shortbread cookies can be wrapped well and frozen up to 2 months. To thaw cookies, place on wire racks and let stand at room temperature for one hour before adding topping.
Keywords: Chai, Chai Spice, Shortbread, Shortbread Cookies