There’s nothing I love more than the process of baking bread, turning dough into beautiful breads for weekend brunch or holiday gatherings. With a brown sugar-almond paste filling, buttery streusel topping, and cinnamon spiced drizzle, these sweet rolls are breakfast perfection.
Baked in partnership with Red Star Yeast, these rolls are a dream fall baking project and absolutely scrumptious served up warm with your morning coffee.
- 3 1/2 cups (490 g) flour, divided
- 1 package Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 1/4 cup (48 g) sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (240 g) low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup (56 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (90 g) light brown sugar
- 4 oz (112 g) almond paste, grated
- 1/2 cup (90 g) light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (35 g) flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 oz (84 g) almond paste, grated
- 3 Tbsp (42 g) unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
- 1/4 tsp pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup (60 g) powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Combine 2 cups (280 g) flour, yeast, sugar, and salt in a large mixer bowl; mix on low speed until incorporated. Heat milk in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 45 seconds to 1 minute, until very warm (120-130°F). Add warm milk, butter, and egg to flour mixture and mix until combined; mix in remaining 1 1/2 cups (210 g) flour. Switch out the flat beater for a dough hook, and knead dough for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. The dough is ready when it feels tacky but doesn't stick to your fingers (if necessary, add additional flour 1 tablespoon at a time while kneading).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with nonstick spray and cover with plastic. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. To check if dough has doubled, lightly flour two fingers and press them down into center of dough. If indentations remain, gently press down dough; cover and let rest 5 minutes. Spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish (or two 9-inch round pans) with nonstick spray.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and roll into an 18 x 12-inch rectangle. Brush dough with melted butter, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Sprinkle brown sugar over dough and top with almond paste, pressing gently into dough with rolling pin. Carefully roll dough up into a tight log and pinch edges to seal.
- Trim off uneven ends and score dough into 18 equal slices. Use unflavored dental floss to slice dough crosswise (slip a long slice of floss under log of dough and cross on top to cut slices cleanly). Place rolls cut side up into prepared baking dish. Cover loosely with plastic and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- While the rolls rise, preheat oven to 350°F and make streusel topping. Whisk together brown sugar, flour, and salt in a medium bowl. Add almond paste, butter, and almond extract, and cut in with a pastry blender or fork until large crumbs form. Chill topping in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle chilled streusel over rolls and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over rolls before serving.
Follow Red Star Yeast – Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Google+
Disclosure: I was compensated by Red Star Yeast for the development of this recipe. All opinions expressed are my own.