Sweet summer peaches belong in an effortless peach upside down cake, an absolute breeze to throw together in a trusty cast iron skillet. Butter, brown sugar, and a splash of vanilla coat the skillet followed by an artful arrangement of peach slices. Spoon the easy cinnamon and vanilla batter over the top before popping the skillet into the oven; in no time at all, the kitchen will be perfumed with peaches and caramel.
The cake emerges golden with juices bubbling, ready to be flipped. Cool slightly before serving with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream and dig in – some things are meant to be enjoyed straight from the oven.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a seasoned 10-inch cast iron skillet. Combine butter and brown sugar in skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until butter has melted and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Top with peaches and set the skillet aside.
- For the cake, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Whisk together egg, buttermilk, yogurt, melted butter, and vanilla in a small bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Dollop batter evenly over peach layer and smooth with an offset spatula. Bake for 30 minutes, until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and let the cake rest for 5 minutes in the skillet, until any juices have stopped bubbling. Use a thin spatula to loosen cake from skillet and carefully invert onto a cake stand or serving plate. Let cool to slightly warm before serving.
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrates: 42
Keywords: peach, cake