- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large peaches, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan. For the crumb topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Add brown butter and almond extract to flour mixture, and toss with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs one at a time. Combine buttermilk and extracts in a small bowl. Beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk mixture (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles, and arrange peaches in a spiral pattern over the batter. Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake for 85 to 90 minutes (see note below), until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides from pan; let cool completely.
Baking time: The baking time will vary based on the juiciness of your peaches – start testing for doneness after 75 minutes.
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrates: 55