brown butter peach crumb cake
Photos and recipe updated August 2019
Sweet peach slices nestled beneath a golden lid of crumb topping take the starring role in this brown butter peach crumb cake. Inspired by my cherry crumb cake, this late summer variation is the kind of effortless dessert made for warm August days.
With a plush layer of buttermilk cake topped with juicy fresh peaches and all the brown butter-cinnamon crumbs, this is the cake you need to make the most of peach season! Finished with a drizzle of cream cheese glaze, you’ll love this brown butter peach crumb cake for dessert or weekend brunch.
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 4 oz reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan (to prevent pan from leaking batter, wrap the bottom of the pan with foil).
- For the crumb topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Add brown butter and almond extract to flour mixture, and toss with a fork until completely incorporated and crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add eggs and egg yolk one at a time. Beat in vanilla and almond extract until incorporated. With mixer on low speed, beat in flour mixture in three additions, alternating with buttermilk (begin and end with flour mixture), just until incorporated.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and arrange peaches in a spiral pattern over the batter. Sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached (start testing after 60 minutes; baking time will vary based on moisture from the peaches). Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides from pan; let cool completely.
- For the glaze, beat cream cheese in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar on low speed until incorporated. Add vanilla and 1 tablespoon milk, and mix until combined and glaze is easy to drizzle. If desired, add another tablespoon milk.
- Drizzle glaze over cake and let set before serving. Store leftover cake covered in the refrigerator.
Keywords: Brown Butter, Peach, Crumb Cake, Crumb Topping