When the garden is overflowing with zucchini, baking a loaf of zucchini bread is an absolute must. Dotted with chocolate chips, flecked with zucchini, and spiced with cinnamon, this is my new favorite zucchini bread.
With a cinnamon-sugar and chocolate topping, waiting for this loaf to cool feels like an eternity. The reward for your patience is one incredible bread that’s perfect sliced up for breakfast, or devoured for a late night snack.
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. For the bread, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine zucchini, sugar, coconut oil, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in until almost combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle over batter; top with chocolate chips. Bake for 55 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely.