strawberry cream scones
When you’ve brought home too many strawberries once again and you’ve already enjoyed them sliced over granola or enveloped in flaky pie dough in an effortless crostata, the only thing left to do is bake strawberry cream scones!
The finest summer mornings begin with these soft and tender beauties. Dotted with sweet farmstand strawberries and baked until fragrant and golden, there’s nothing better than a still-warm cream scone served up with butter and strawberry jam.
- 1 1/2 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp aluminum-free baking powder*
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract)
- 1 1/3 to 1 1/2 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp cold heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and arrange strawberries in a single layer; freeze for 1 hour. For the scones, line two rimmed baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl.
- Combine vanilla bean paste with 1 1/3 cups heavy cream; drizzle cream over flour mixture and fold in just until flour is incorporated. Add strawberries and gently fold in just until a shaggy dough forms – if needed, add 2 more tablespoons cream.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured board and use lightly floured hands to gently pat dough out into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle. Cut dough with a floured 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter to form 14 rounds; gently gather scraps and pat out once more if needed. Place rounds 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets and chill in the freezer for 20 minutes while preheating oven to 425°F.
- Brush scones with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 25 to 26 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until tops are set, edges are beginning to turn golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool scones for 5 minutes on baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to keep your scones from turning blue.
Make ahead: Cut out rounds and place on baking sheet; cover and freeze overnight. Brush with cream and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time. For longer storage, transfer frozen scones to a freezer bag until ready to use.
- Calories: 225
- Carbohydrates: 33
Keywords: Strawberry, Cream, Scone