Delicate, flaky puff pastry envelops a sweet almond paste and Amaretto filling in these simple and scrumptious almond bear claws. While you can certainly make your own puff pastry, store-bought frozen puff is an absolute lifesaver on hot summer days.
Topped with sliced almonds and sugar, these effortless bear claws are a dream with your morning coffee (hot or iced!), and make one fine weekend breakfast.
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 7 oz almond paste, cubed
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 large egg white
- 2 Tbsp Amaretto
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tsp milk
- 2 Tbsp sliced almonds
- 2 tsp sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Unfold one puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured board and roll out into a 12 x 10.5-inch rectangle. Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into 9 rectangles and transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with second puff pastry sheet. Chill pastry on baking sheets for 10 minutes in the refrigerator.
- For the filling, combine almond paste and salt in a food processor, and pulse together. Add egg white, Amaretto, and almond extract, and blend until combined. Transfer filling to a piping bag, and pipe about a tablespoon of filling down the center of each rectangle, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the ends.
- Whisk together egg yolk and milk in a small bowl, and brush the edges of each rectangle lightly with egg mixture. Fold pastry over filling, pressing edges firmly to seal. Use a sharp knife to make four 1/4-inch cuts on sealed edge of dough, and gently curve pastries to spread out cuts. Freeze pastries on baking sheets for 30 minutes while preheating oven to 400°F.
- Brush chilled pastries lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until pastry is golden and fully baked through. Cool pastries for 5 minutes on baking sheets before removing to a wire rack to cool.
Make ahead: Freeze assembled pastries on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer bag for storage. When ready to bake, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sliced almonds and sugar, and bake directly from the freezer, adding 1-2 minutes to baking time.
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrates: 17
Keywords: Almond, Almond Paste, Puff Pastry