Imagine a super rich and chewy cookie, reminiscent of the fudgiest brownie or chocolate truffle, and you’ll come close to these chocolate hazelnut macaroons. Baked just until puffed and set (slightly underbaked is best!), the brownie-like cookies give way to tender centers, making them incredibly tempting just out of the oven.
Topped with mini chocolate chips and dusted with powdered sugar, these gluten-free macaroons are the ultimate treat for any chocolate lover.
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 Tbsp hazelnut liqueur
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- Blend coconut and hazelnuts in a food processor for 1 minute. Add sugar, cocoa, and salt, and blend for 1 minute. Add egg whites and hazelnut liqueur, and blend until combined; blend in melted chocolate until smooth. Chill batter for 25-30 minutes in the refrigerator, until slightly firm.
- Preheat oven to 325°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spray a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop with nonstick spray, and scoop batter into mounds on prepared baking sheets. Top with mini chocolate chips, pressing gently to adhere.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for about 15 minutes, until cookies are slightly puffed and tops and edges are set. Cool for 15 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust macaroons with powdered sugar before serving, and store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 152
- Carbohydrates: 21