triple berry crumb bars
With a blend of mixed berries and a buttery golden lid, these triple berry crumb bars taste like the best berry pie. The bars are delicious unadorned to fully savor the jammy berry filling and golden crumb topping; I also love them topped with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or drizzled with lemon butter glaze.
Even better than pie, these crumb bars are forgiving and flexible – use any blend of berries you love! If you’re serving a crowd for Memorial Day or 4th of July, simply double the recipe and bake in a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (and then prepare to dig in!).
Crust & Crumbs
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup blackberries, halved
- 3/4 cup raspberries
- 3/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; add to butter mixture and fold in until incorporated. Reserve 3/4 cup of dough for topping (keep chilled); press remaining dough evenly into bottom of prepared pan. Bake crust for 14 to 16 minutes, until lightly golden and set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, combine sugar, salt, and arrowroot starch in a medium bowl. Add berries and lemon juice, tossing gently to combine. Spoon mixture over cooled crust and crumble reserved dough over filling.
- Bake for another 40 to 44 minutes, or until topping is golden and filling slightly bubbly. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
Filling: Any blend of 2 cups of berries can be used for the filling.
Keywords: Berry, Berries, Crumb Bars, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry