lavender white chocolate madeleines
I love the elegance and simplicity of madeleines. Buttery and golden, the mini French cakes are infinitely versatile when it comes to flavor options, including everything from citrus to chai spice. Here, the delicate floral aroma of lavender (and a touch of honey!) makes a lovely duo with sweet white chocolate in these lavender white chocolate madeleines.
Lightly scented with lavender and dipped in glossy white chocolate, these madeleines are the ideal treat to pair with afternoon tea or coffee.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp dried culinary lavender
- 1 cup flour
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 – 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- sprinkles (optional – for topping)
- Combine sugar and lavender in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute until lavender is finely chopped. Transfer lavender sugar to a medium bowl and whisk in flour. Combine eggs, honey, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together until frothy, about 1 minute. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir with a spatula just until combined. Add melted butter and stir in just until incorporated. Cover bowl and place in the refrigerator to rest for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a nonstick madeleine pan. Use a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop (or 2 spoons) to fill molds with a generous tablespoon of batter. Bake for about 13 to 14 minutes, until puffed and golden, and edges spring back to the touch. Remove madeleines from oven and immediately turn out onto a wire rack or clean tea towel to cool completely.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and place chopped white chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Dip madeleines in melted chocolate and place on prepared baking sheet; top with sprinkles (if desired). Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes to set chocolate. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
Baking pan: I used this madeleine mold.
- Calories: 155
- Carbohydrates: 18
Keywords: Lavender, White Chocolate