This week, be sure to treat yourself (or your Valentine) to salted caramel chocolate cups! If you share my view that wherever there’s chocolate, there must also be creamy and buttery salted caramel, then these rich and indulgent chocolates are for you.
Simple to make and utterly blissful to devour, these chocolate cups are finished with flaky salt and sparkling gold sprinkles for the ultimate bite!
Salted Caramel Sauce
- 6 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- flaky salt (for topping)
- gold sprinkles (optional – for topping)
- For the salted caramel sauce, combine brown sugar, butter, and heavy cream in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly until butter has melted completely. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt until smooth. Pour sauce into a glass jar and chill in the refrigerator for 45 minutes while proceeding.
- Line a mini muffin pan with baking cups. Place semisweet chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Spoon 1 teaspoon melted chocolate into each baking cup; use a small spatula to spread chocolate across bottom and up sides of each cup. Place pan in the freezer for 5 minutes to set chocolate.
- Transfer salted caramel sauce to a piping bag and fill each chocolate cup with approximately 2 tsp of caramel sauce. Place pan in the freezer for 5 minutes to set. Add another teaspoon of melted chocolate, and tap pan sharply. Freeze for 1 minute, then top with flaky salt (and sprinkles, if using). Return pan to freezer for 5 more minutes to fully set. Store chocolate cups in an airtight container in the refrigerator; let stand at room temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
1/2 cup good jarred caramel sauce may be substituted for the salted caramel sauce. This recipe makes exactly enough caramel sauce to fill 12 chocolate cups – if you tend to sample, make a double batch.
- Calories: 154
- Carbohydrates: 18