pumpkin chocolate chip cake
Pumpkin, warming spices, and chocolate chips collide in this gem of a fall cake. Essentially a pumpkin sheet cake topped with chocolate chips and a sprinkling of cinnamon-sugar, this pumpkin chocolate chip cake will appeal to any and all pumpkin lovers (including my grandfather, who just turned 90 years young yesterday and always celebrates with pumpkin pie in lieu of birthday cake – now that’s a smart man!).
Simple to make and even easier to eat (I’ve been slicing off just one more bite nearly every hour for the last two days!), the plush and pillowy bars are a must-make for your pumpkin-carving or Halloween party!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat well. Combine pumpkin and milk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with pumpkin mixture.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking dish and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Scatter chocolate chips evenly over batter; combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, then sprinkle over the top. Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 25 minutes or until cake springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Just before serving, place pan in the freezer for 10 minutes to set topping. Use a sharp knife to cut into squares. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 178
- Carbohydrates: 27
Keywords: Pumpkin, Pumpkin Spice, Chocolate Chip