apple crumb cake
Happy Friday! This cozy apple crumb cake is just what your weekend needs. Nearly fall-apart tender and crowned with a golden crumb topping, apple-studded spice cake is the perfect antidote to drizzly fall days, and ideal for savoring and sharing.
Best of all, when served up at breakfast with steaming mugs of coffee, this crumb cake suddenly bears a striking resemblance to coffee cake. I wouldn’t have it any other way!
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and diced apples
- Preheat oven to 350°F and butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan. For the crumb topping, combine sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl; add melted butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping in the freezer until needed.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well; beat in vanilla. Combine yogurt and milk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with yogurt mixture. Fold in apples.
- Scrape batter into prepared baking pan (batter will be thick) and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 60 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes before removing sides from pan; let cool before serving.
Apples: I used a blend of Fuji, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious apples.
- Calories: 305
- Carbohydrates: 48
Keywords: Apple, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Crumb Cake