- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp brown butter (from above)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown butter (from above)
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour brown butter into a glass measuring cup and let cool slightly.
- For the crumb topping, combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon in a small bowl; add vanilla and brown butter and toss mixture with a fork until crumbly. Chill topping until ready to use.
- For the bread, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, sugars, brown butter, buttermilk, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula; sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake for 55 minutes, until bread is golden and springs back to the touch. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely.
- Calories: 220
- Carbohydrates: 38
Keywords: Brown Butter, Banana, Banana Bread