Almond paste and apples are a dream together in this delectable almond apple cake. Rich and dense, the golden squares are nearly fall-apart tender, with the signature melt-in-your-mouth texture of all desserts baked with almond paste.
Dressed up with warming spices, grated apples, and a cinnamon drizzle, there’s much to love about this simple fall cake that makes an easy anytime treat.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 7 oz almond paste, grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup peeled and grated apple*
- 1/2 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square metal baking pan with nonstick spray; dust with flour. Whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, cardamom, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat butter, almond paste, and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture. Mix in milk and apples, then add remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pan sharply to reduce air bubbles. Bake for 45 minutes, until cake is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, salt, cinnamon, almond extract, and milk until smooth. Transfer to a small piping bag and drizzle over cake; let set before serving.
Apples: I used a blend of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples.
- Calories: 250
- Carbohydrates: 38