In the middle of an August heat wave, there’s only one way to stay cool: ice cream sandwiches. Stock the freezer with a stash of your favorite cookie and ice cream pairings, and then (because it’s still summer!) prepare to live on frozen treats all day long.
And oh, what a fine dinner/dessert/afternoon snack these ice cream sandwiches make! Scoops of sweet and creamy lemon-coconut ice cream layered with sugared shortbread rounds are bright and tangy, light and satisfying. Make up a batch and dig in!
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon zest, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pure coconut extract
- 1 Tbsp limoncello or vodka
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- For the ice cream, place 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest and sugar in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute; add lemon juice and process until blended. Pour mixture into a medium bowl and whisk in coconut milk, salt, coconut extract, remaining lemon zest, and limoncello until smooth. Cover and chill for 4 hours in the refrigerator, then pour into frozen cylinder of ice cream maker; freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spoon mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze overnight until firm.
- For the cookies, beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to just shy of 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2 1/4-inch round cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 28 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cookies have cooled, freeze in an airtight container for at least one hour.
- To assemble sandwiches, use a small cookie scoop to place a scoop of ice cream between two chilled cookies and press lightly. Place assembled ice cream sandwiches on a baking sheet and cover with plastic; return to the freezer for two hours before serving. Wrap sandwiches individually in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 7 days. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.
The limoncello (or vodka) prevents the ice cream from freezing too firmly; omit if desired.
- Calories: 290
- Carbohydrates: 36