Introducing my favorite kind of loaf cake: golden, plush, and buttery; filled with pockets of berries and scented with citrus. This is the cake that I carve off a sliver at a time, needing just one more taste after breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Topped with a bright citrus drizzle, this everyday cake is a canvas for your favorite blend of fresh berries and citrus. Bake it for your next weekend brunch (or for those afternoons that seem to require a slice of cake) and watch every last crumb blissfully disappear.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and and line a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, leaving a 2-inch overhang around the edges. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl; reserve 1 tablespoon mixture to toss with berries. Place sugar and citrus zest in a food processor and pulse for one minute.
- Beat butter and citrus-sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, beating just to combine. Add yogurt mixture, then finish with remaining flour mixture. Toss berries with flour mixture; add to batter and fold in gently just until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; smooth top with an offset spatula. Bake for 70 to 75 minutes, until edges are golden, cake springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes before using the parchment overhang to carefully lift cake from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, powdered sugar, salt, lemon zest, lime zest, milk, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake and let set before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Inspired by Diala’s Kitchen.
- Calories: 200
- Carbohydrates: 36