These blueberry cupcakes are breakfast for dessert, reminiscent of a stack of pancakes or French toast in cupcake form. Fresh and juicy blueberries are mixed into sweet vanilla cupcake batter, then layered with a cinnamon-sugar ribbon. The resulting cupcakes are light and fluffy, and so simple (no mixer required!).
Paired with a flourish of maple frosting (featuring dark amber maple syrup from Canada!) and topped with fresh blueberries, these cupcakes are simply sublime.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder*
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 1/2 Tbsp milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- blueberries, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a 12-cup standard muffin pan with baking cups. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; make a well in the center of the mixture. Add sugar, melted butter, egg, egg yolk, milk, yogurt, and vanilla to flour mixture; whisk in just until incorporated. Add boiling water to batter and whisk in until smooth. Fold in blueberries.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. Fill each baking cup half full of batter; sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Top with remaining batter, filling each baking cup 3/4 full. Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes, until golden, tops spring back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks for two minutes, then remove from pans to cool completely on wire racks.
- For the frosting, whisk together melted butter, maple syrup, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk in powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Chill frosting for 5 to 10 minutes to firm slightly before transferring to a piping bag with a large round tip and piping onto cupcakes, or use an offset spatula to spread frosting onto cupcakes. Top with blueberries and serve. Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator; bring to room temperature before serving.
Baking powder: Use an aluminum-free baking powder to keep your cupcakes from turning blue.
- Calories: 315
- Carbohydrates: 60