strawberry cream sandwich cookies
These charming strawberry cream sandwich cookies are everything I’m craving in a dessert – sweet, buttery, and oh so pretty. Vanilla bean shortbread cookies filled with strawberry-white chocolate cream make for divine little bites, simply perfect for Mother’s Day (especially when wrapped up as a beautiful package!)
If you feel apprehensive about baking sandwich cookies, there’s no need – the dough comes together in minutes, rolls out easily after a brief chill, and the cookies hold shape in the oven. Topped with a generous sprinkling of sugar, these sparkling cookies are sure to please.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)
- 4 oz white chocolate, chopped
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp strawberry jam
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add vanilla bean paste, lemon zest, and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces. Scrape dough out onto a piece of plastic wrap, shape into a disk and wrap well. Chill dough until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Roll out dough to just shy of 1/4-inch thick on a lightly floured board. Use a floured 2-inch fluted biscuit cutter to cut out cookies. Gather scraps, re-roll, and cut until you have a total of 32 cookies. Place cookies on baking sheets, sprinkle with sugar, and chill for 15 minutes.
- Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 15 minutes, until lightly golden and edges are set. Cool for 5 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. For the filling, place white chocolate and salt in a double boiler or in a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream until combined; whisk in strawberry jam. Chill filling for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- Use an offset spatula to spread strawberry cream on the underside of half the cookies. Top with remaining cookies, pressing gently to adhere. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 2 days.
- Calories: 208
- Carbohydrates: 15