Some days require quarts of cookies to get us through. You know the kind – when deadlines are looming, to-do lists are never-ending, and dinner goes unmade… On those days when cookie cravings are at an all-time high but there’s simply no time for chilling dough or scooping perfectly round scoops of dough, the cookie bar is your friend.
These milk chocolate toasted coconut cookie bars are rich and chewy, just like the best cookies. Loaded with toasted coconut and oats, coconut palm sugar and a generous splash of vanilla add a deep caramel flavor. Topped with a layer of creamy milk chocolate and plenty of flaky salt, it’s easy to see why my current diet includes all the cookie bars.
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure coconut extract
- 3/4 cup rolled oats, toasted
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 2-3 drops pure coconut extract
- flaky salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Beat butter and sugars in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, vanilla, and coconut extract until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in toasted oats and coconut.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Bake bars for 16 minutes, until edges are golden, top is set, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely in baking pan on a wire rack.
- For the topping, place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted and smooth (about 1 1/2 minutes). Stir in coconut extract. Pour melted chocolate over bars and spread with an offset spatula into an even layer; sprinkle with sea salt. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour to set chocolate. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment and place bars on a cutting board; use a sharp knife to trim edges and cut into bars.
To toast, spread the oats and coconut in a thin layer on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring halfway through, for 10-12 minutes.
- Calories: 212
- Carbohydrates: 30