- 7 ounces almond paste, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 2 sheets (16 oz) puff pastry, thawed and chilled
- 2 Tbsp sugar, divided (for the board)
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- Combine almond paste, sugar, salt, and almond extract in a food processor; pulse for 1 minute to combine. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar onto a large board; roll 1 sheet of puff pastry out into an 9 by 13-inch rectangle.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup almond paste mixture over rectangle, pressing into dough with rolling pin. Score the center of the dough with a knife to serve as a guide. Starting on one long side, roll dough tightly and evenly to the center. Repeat on the other side. Wrap dough tightly in plastic and chill in the freezer for 30 minutes, until firm. Repeat process with second puff pastry sheet.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Use a sharp knife to trim ends of dough, then slice each log crosswise into 20 slices; place slices a few inches apart on baking sheets. Sprinkle tops with sugar and freeze on baking sheets for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Bake palmiers for 10 minutes, until caramelized on the bottom. Carefully flip with a spatula, pressing down to flatten if palmiers begin to unroll. Continue baking another 4 minutes, until golden and crisp. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days; recrisp in a 300°F oven if desired.
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrates: 10