When instinct tells you to take an afternoon to decompress and bake a streusel-jam coffee cake, it’s best to act accordingly. I chose wisely because this beauty is everything a coffee cake should be: sweet and buttery, plush and golden, with a ribbon of strawberry jam swirled into the batter and a lid of brown sugar-pecan streusel.
There’s nothing so satisfying as a nice wedge served up with a steaming hot mug of coffee. Simple and scrumptious down to the very last crumb, this is the coffee cake of my dreams.
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray; dust lightly with flour. For the streusel, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and pecans in a medium bowl; add cubed butter and toss with a fork until mixture is crumbly. Chill until ready to use.
- For the cake, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and yolk one at a time and beat well. Combine yogurt and buttermilk in a small bowl. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with yogurt mixture (begin and end with flour mixture).
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula. Place jam in a small bowl and microwave briefly (about 10 seconds); whisk to loosen. Dollop jam by teaspoons over batter and swirl together with a toothpick or wooden skewer; tap pan sharply to remove air bubbles. Top with chilled streusel. Bake for 38 minutes, until coffee cake is golden, springs back to the touch, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 325
- Carbohydrates: 46