lemon thyme bars
Light and breezy lemon thyme bars are an absolute must for your Easter table, alfresco brunch, or spring picnic beneath the blossoming trees. These buttery, almost melt-in-your-mouth bars feature plenty of Meyer lemon sweetness with a hint of fresh thyme, making them utterly timeless and ever so sophisticated.
Drizzled with sweet lemon glaze and topped with fresh thyme sprigs, these bright and tangy bars are absolutely irresistible. Wishing all of you and your families a Happy Easter, filled with the joyous reminder of new life!
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Tbsp milk
- thyme sprigs, to garnish (if desired)
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with parchment paper. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine sugar, powdered sugar, Meyer lemon zest, and thyme leaves in a food processor and pulse for 1 minute.
- Beat sugar mixture and butter in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg yolk and vanilla until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until crumbly. Add Meyer lemon juice and mix in just until combined.
- Scrape dough into prepared pan and use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Bake for 18 to 19 minutes, until edges are lightly golden and top is set. Cool completely in baking pan on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, Meyer lemon zest, juice, melted butter, and milk in a small bowl; transfer to a small piping bag. Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; drizzle with glaze and let set before cutting into squares. Store leftover bars in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Calories: 210
- Carbohydrates: 32