If you’re looking for an alternative to green…anything, for St. Patrick’s Day, this is the dessert for you! Chewy one-bowl blondie bars draw inspiration from Irish coffee, with plenty of deep, rich espresso in the batter (a swap from the traditional brewed coffee) and Irish Cream in the scrumptious glaze.
A bit sophisticated and unexpected, yet undeniably delicious, these blondies are a sweet and rich grown-up treat. Topped with toasty almonds and whiskey glaze, who could resist a blondie or two, especially alongside a hot Irish coffee? Enjoy!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso (recommended: Starbucks Via)
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp Irish Cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour
- 3 Tbsp roasted almonds, chopped
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp Irish Cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, espresso, egg, Irish Cream, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk until smooth. Fold in flour just until incorporated. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula; top with chopped almonds.
- Bake for 24 minutes, until top is set, edges are golden, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
- For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, melted butter, Irish Cream, vanilla, and milk in a small bowl. Transfer glaze to a small piping bag and drizzle over blondies; let set before serving.
- Calories: 230
- Carbohydrates: 33