Happy Spring! I took inspiration from my carrot cake bars to whip up another treat perfect for Easter brunch – carrot cake doughnuts! These light and fluffy baked doughnuts are sweetly spiced and dipped in a luxurious brown sugar glaze.
A few tablespoons of brown sugar accented the doughnut batter as well, a nice complement to the warming spices and sweet carrots.
Whisk up the dry ingredients the night ahead, and you’ll be well on your way to baked doughnut bliss come Easter morning. Glaze the doughnuts while still slightly warm and serve right away, because there’s nothing so delicious as a freshly baked doughnut!
Carrot Cake Doughnuts
- 2 tsp Red Star PLATINUM Yeast
- 2 Tbsp very warm water (120-130°F)
- 2 cups cake flour (see note below)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 425°F and spray a standard doughnut pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together yeast and warm water in a small bowl; set aside. Whisk together cake flour, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, brown sugar sugar, carrot, and yeast mixture in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip and fill each doughnut cup 3/4 full. Bake for 8 minutes, until edges are golden and the tops spring back to the touch. Turn doughnuts out on a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter, spraying pan with nonstick spray in between batches.
- For the glaze, whisk together butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar, salt, and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Set rack with doughnuts over a piece of wax paper. Dip doughnut tops into glaze and let set on rack, then serve.