- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso, dissolved in 1 Tbsp hot water
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Combine banana, honey, coconut oil, buttermilk, egg, vanilla, and espresso in a medium bowl; add to flour mixture and fold in just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Tap pan sharply and top with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake for 60 to 75 minutes (see note below), rotating pan halfway through. Bread is done when center is set, loaf springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes; carefully remove bread from pan and cool completely. Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.
Baking time will vary based on moisture content of the bananas. Begin checking bread after 60 minutes. If using bananas that were previously frozen, baking time may be up to 75 minutes.
- Calories: 235
- Carbohydrates: 39
Keywords: Banana, Banana Bread, Espresso, Chocolate, Quick Bread