When it comes to cookies, I’m all about balance. Though it’s been said that a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand (and who am I to argue with that?!), flavor balance is equally important. As my palate matures, I crave a little bit of salt with my sweets. Enter these malted chocolate toffee pretzel cookies, with an ideal salty-sweet ratio.
With a base flavor of malt powder, brown sugar, and vanilla, these cookies are blissful. Loaded with mix-ins (because the best cookies always are!), pretzels bring balance to the sweet toffee bits; a shower of flaky salt is the ideal topping for the chocolate drizzle. Balance has never looked better.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup toffee bits
- 1/2 cup pretzels, coarsely crushed
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp malted milk powder
- 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- flaky salt
- Whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and brown sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until creamy; beat in egg, vanilla, and malted milk powder until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips, toffee bits, and pretzels. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Form 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets; press gently to flatten mounds slightly. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 9 minutes, until edges are set. Cool for 4 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cooled cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. For the topping, combine chocolate chips and malt powder in a microwave safe bowl and heat chocolate in 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval until melted (about 1 1/2 minutes). Add oil and stir until chocolate is smooth and glossy. Transfer melted chocolate to a small piping bag and drizzle over cookies; sprinkle with sea salt. Chill cookies for 15 minutes to set chocolate.
- Calories: 182
- Carbohydrates: 25