A shortbread cookie always feels so posh and slightly glamorous to me. Though the cookie itself is completely unassuming (butter, sugar, flour), I love that shortbread is infinitely adaptable and can feel rich and indulgent one moment (hello chocolate-dipped espresso shortbread!), and breezy and light the next.
These lime shortbread cookies are the perfect example. An abundance of fresh lime zest in both the dough and glaze make them bright and buttery, with a nice sweet-tart balance. As you savor these cookies, each bite will transport you head-first into clear blue skies.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lime zest
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Beat butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until combined; add lime zest and salt and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and mix in flour just until incorporated and dough begins to come together in large pieces.
- Spray a 9-inch round removable-bottom tart pan with nonstick spray and scrape dough into pan. Use a piece of parchment paper lightly coated with nonstick spray to press dough evenly into pan. Cover and chill in the refrigerator until firm, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Score dough into 16 wedges with a sharp knife and prick all over with a wooden skewer. Bake until lightly golden and set in the center, about 42 minutes. Remove pan from oven and transfer to a wire rack; use a sharp knife to recut shortbread into wedges. Cool completely in pan. For the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, salt, melted butter, lime zest, and juice in a small bowl. Transfer glaze to a small piping bag and drizzle over shortbread; let set before serving.
Make ahead: After chilling shortbread for 45 minutes, score dough into wedges and prick all over with a wooden skewer. Wrap tart pan with foil and place in a freezer bag to freeze. Bake shortbread directly from the freezer, adding two or three minutes to baking time.
- Calories: 175
- Carbohydrates: 22