Delightfully sunny Meyer lemon tartlets are the antidote to rainy, blustery January days and just the way to transition us into spring (only 60 days away, and yes I’m counting!). Filled with sweet and tangy Meyer lemon curd, these petite treats are a lemon lover’s dream.
If you’ve never made lemon curd at home, now is the time – silky smooth and vibrant Meyer lemon curd can be within your reach in a mere five minutes. Depending upon your affinity for the velvety spread, this could be a very dangerous prospect indeed. I can’t keep a spoon out of the jar, and I know you’ll feel the same.
Meyer Lemon Tartlets
Meyer Lemon Curd
- 1 1/2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 6 Tbsp Meyer lemon juice
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 tsp Meyer lemon zest
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- mint leaves
- For the curd, whisk together Meyer lemon zest, juice, sugar, and eggs in a heavy saucepan. Cook over moderately low heat, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened. Add butter a few pieces at a time, whisking constantly until melted, before adding more butter. Continue until curd is smooth and thickened, and coats the back of a spoon (about 5 minutes total). Transfer curd to a bowl, press a piece of plastic directly on the surface, and chill until cold - at least one hour.
- For the pastry, beat butter, cream cheese, Meyer lemon zest, and vanilla in a large mixer bowl at medium speed until smooth; add sugar and salt and beat until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour; beat just until incorporated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour, until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two 12-cup mini muffin pans with nonstick spray. Form one-inch balls of dough and place each ball in a muffin cup; use a tart tamper/shaper or lightly floured hands to press dough into the bottom and up the sides of each cup. Prick bottom of cups with a fork and bake for 18 minutes, until edges are lightly golden and set. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
- To assemble, pipe or spoon lemon curd into cups. Chill for 30 minutes before topping with a raspberry and mint leaf. Store leftover tartlets in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Any leftover curd can be chilled up to one week.