- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp blood orange zest
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp pure almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp blood orange zest
- 2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp blood orange juice
- Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat butter and sugar and blood orange zest in a large mixer bowl at medium speed light and fluffy. Mix in ricotta, vanilla, and almond extract, then beat in egg until combined. Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; beat just until incorporated. Cover dough and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Spray a medium cookie scoop lightly with nonstick spray; scoop 1 1/2-inch balls of dough and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, for 14 to 15 minutes, until pale golden and set. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheets, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, whisk together melted butter, salt, powdered sugar, blood orange zest, and juice in a small bowl. Dip tops of cookies into glaze and let set before serving. If not serving cookies immediately, store unglazed in an airtight container at room temperature and glaze just before serving.
- Calories: 125
- Carbohydrates: 18