Have you ever come across a recipe that beckoned you to the kitchen in an instant? So it was with these apple blondies I spotted at my friend Heidi’s blog, FoodieCrush. I couldn’t stop thinking about a buttery blondie filled with apples and topped with streusel, so I did what any baking blogger/dessert lover/Honeycrisp apple-obsessed person would do – I whipped up a pan in 15 minutes flat.
As it turns out, my afternoon baking whim was a wise move. I made over my favorite blondie base with brown butter and apple, a most natural pair. Add a crumb topping, and blondie meets crumb cake in these simple and seasonal bars.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto (or 1/8 tsp pure almond extract)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup grated Honeycrisp apple
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper. For the crumb topping, whisk together sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in a small bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until large crumbs form. Chill topping until ready to use.
- For the blondies, cook butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until it foams, turns clear, and then turns a deep brown, about 6 minutes. Pour brown butter into a medium bowl and let cool to room temperature. Whisk in brown sugar, egg, amaretto, and salt until smooth. Fold in flour just until incorporated; fold in apples. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle crumb topping evenly over batter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until golden and set in the middle, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs attached. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Just before cutting, chill in the freezer for 10 minutes. Carefully lift parchment to remove bars from pan and place on a cutting board; cut into squares with a sharp knife.
Inspired by FoodieCrush
- Calories: 240
- Carbohydrates: 34